A day in the life

6:18 a.m. Lights on after two snoozes. Reluctance to leave bed but my bladder is pissed (ha!) at me by now, a lingering side effect of pregnancy. It should be noted that Roth has been at work since 5 a.m., which means he got up at I don’t even want to know ‘o clock. Rowan is still sleeping. I can hear his giant tonsils-laden mouth-breathing from across the house.

6:39 a.m. Showered, thinking intensely about coffee and what the heck I’m going to wear.

6:50 a.m. Start the process of waking the bear. At 3, Rowan is like a surly teenager with regard to getting up in the morning. The process includes gentle poking and usually graduates to a full-on tickle assault.

6:55 a.m. Coffee is ready, but I am not.

7:10 a.m. First sip of coffee. Still working on getting Rowan out of bed.

“I just want to stay here today, Mama.” Oh, how I wish, kiddo.

7:18 a.m. Rowan is finally up and dressed. While getting ready, we discuss how blood in our veins and under our skin is blue. “See, Mama? My belly is blue.”

(Our new kitchen clock, which I adore.)

7:28 a.m. Making English muffins for a floor picnic, per the sir’s request. (We’re running late today.)

7:43 a.m. I am finally dressed, too. Now, I know I recently made a declaration on Twitter that I wouldn’t be wearing tapered-leg skinny jeans anymore, but I only have one pair of bootcut jeans at the moment, and I already wore them twice this week. This isn’t my best outfit, but it’s also not my worst.

Black jeans: Eddie Bauer; Striped top: Target; Gray flats: Blowfish

7:47 a.m. Finally in the car and pulling out of the driveway. Most days I try very hard to leave by 7:30, but not this day. Oh well.

“Cranes are awesome,” says Rowan, as we speed along the I-5 corridor.

The bane of my commute, having to pay $3.50 (EACH WAY!) to cross the 520 bridge. For a few weeks after the toll started, I drove all the way around the lake to avoid it, but so did lots of other people, tripling my commute time. I’m not happy about having to pay to drive to work, but time is money, in this case, as I’m able to get Rowan to daycare and myself to the office in under 30 minutes.

Soundtrack for today’s commute brought to you by local radio and my iPod on shuffle. What we heard:

“Dynomite” by Taio Cruz, “Jeremy” by Pearl Jam (it wouldn’t be a day in the life of a Seattleite without hearing a song by PJ or Nirvana), “Today” by Smashing Pumpkins, “Forever” by Chris Brown (look, I’m not proud that I own a single track by CB, but I happen to love this song), “The Cave” by Mumford & Sons, “Flume” by Bon Iver

“Some dinosaurs are plant eaters, and some dinosaurs are meat eaters, right?” Yes indeed, Rowan.

8:16 a.m. Daycare drop-off. In and out, no drama.

One last song before arriving at work: “St. Peter’s Cathedral” by Death Cab for Cutie. I love this song, particularly this line: “It’s only then that you will know, what lies above or down below, or if these fictions only prove, how much you’ve really got to lose.”

8:31 a.m. Sitting down at my desk, firing up the internetz. First e-mail is from Roth, which is always a nice way to start the day.

Breakfast of champions: more coffee and oatmeal.

OK. Let’s do this, Thursday.

9 a.m. to noon Workety-work work. Spent the morning preparing a bunch of marketing materials to ship to LA for an event I’m attending next week. (More on that later.) Had a meeting to discuss the budget for a June trade show in NY and confirmed I will be going again this year. (Sigh. Going to NY is just … so much work.) Pretty mundane stuff so far. Such is the glamorous life of a book marketer.

12:41 p.m. Left the office and grabbed a sammy at Jimmy John’s. I’m not really supposed to be spending money on lunch out, but what can I say? It’s my weakness. Even if I DO bring lunch in, I almost always leave the office for a bit and go for a drive. Being away, even if for just 15 to 20 minutes, helps break up the monotony of the work day.

About to scarf down this delicious turkey and guac sammy before another string of afternoon meetings. Thrilling!

3:09 p.m. Around this time every day, I start to gaze longingly at this wall in my cubicle, counting down the minutes until I can pack up and pick up my little guy. An hour and 21 minutes …

4:41 p.m. Daycare pickup wherein every. single. day, Rowan asks me upon release, “What you got for me?” As in, what treat did I bring for him? This has become somewhat of an issue, for if I don’t have some sort of sweet or savory nugget for him to snack on, he throws a HUGE FIT. So, I usually grab a Hershey Kiss from the office candy jar on my way out. Sometimes I have dried fruit strips from TJs, or a bag of Pirate Booty in the car. Today I had for him a mini Hershey bar. I need to work on weaning him of this routine.

On the way home tonight, as with most nights, I talked to my mom on the phone (on speaker!) for the duration of the commute. I usually use this as an opportunity to vent about work, as was the case today. Rowan fell asleep, which is never good, seeing as we hope to get him to bed at a decent hour, and a nap at 5 p.m. never helps the case. I think he’s in this transitional phase to no nap, though he still could use a little snooze to make it through the day.

5:06 p.m. Back in our drive way and into the house where Rowan and I disrobe (seriously, can’t get out of work clothes fast enough) and sink into the couch to decompress for a bit before making dinner. Tonight we watched a couple episodes of Curious George and snacked on some cheddar cheese.

6 p.m. Finally ready to start dinner, aiming to have it ready around 7, when Roth is due home from his weekly co-ed soccer game.

We’re still mostly eating vegetarian dinners on week nights. Last night we had Field Roast “sausages” with jambalaya rice. Tonight’s dinner is tofu and broccoli stir fry over rice. Yummy.

7:15 p.m. Roth pulled muscle in his thigh playing soccer the last couple of weeks, and tonight it’s hurting him more than usual, so I offer to go to the store to get him some sort of muscle relaxing cream. Translation: IMPROMPTU SOLO TRIP TO TARGET!

Related: Based on the the contents of this basket, one might assume we are old. One’s assumption would be correct.


“You want another date, keep walking away.”

“Well, he’s shrimpy, and he’s small.”

“The four sweetest words in the English language: You wore me down.”

8:59 p.m. “I’m always sad when ‘Parks & Rec’ is over. It’s never on long enough,” says Roth. I know, dude. I KNOW.

9:20 p.m. Bedtime stories and snuggles. (He should have been in bed an hour earlier. Oh well.)

9:31 p.m. The dishwasher is loaded, my teeth are flossed, and I’ve got about a half hour before I’m officially done for the day. This is where I leave you, folks. Thanks for following along.


Note: I’m trying something different today. I’ve always wanted to do a “day in the life” post, a chronicling of a typical day with words and photos and inane details to illustrate what life is like for this full-time working mom. This post is a dynamic post, one I will update throughout the day whenever I have a free moment or two. I hope you’ll come back to check out the updates, and I hope you’ll enjoy this unfiltered, off-the-cuff view of today: Thursday, February 16, 2012.



  1. That made me tired for you.

    I was in your work’s parking lot on Monday. Brady’s pediatrician is a couple blocks away and he was sleeping in the car so I was driving around before it started. I ended up in the parking lot of your work. No reason for saying that, just that it’s 11pm and I’m still up and kinda delirious.

  2. Dad

    Nice piece…revealing what I have imagined your mornings are like. I do remember those days, I was the one who was at work by 5am (radio days)…your mother lived the morning kid routines more than I.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.